Monday, October 20, 2008

Recycling Tooth Brush!

For many of us, there are things that considered as taboo to share with other person eventhough with your loved one. Things like toothbrush, shaver, underwear and even socks are not meant for sharing.


Do you believe if I say there are some hotels recycling toothbrush? It may sound ridiculous and disgusting but that’s the fact! How do I know this? Well, I experience it!


Recently, I was in Jakarta for business trip. I was staying in one of the famous hotel in Grogol. This hotel is attached to very famous mall in Grogol too. The story is like this…

I forgot to bring my toothpaste and since it’s too late and I’m so lazy to walk to the mall next door to buy, I decided to call the room service for the toothpaste. After while, one of their staff came and pass me a box contained toothpaste and toothbrush too.


I’ve stayed in many hotels around the world and sometime I use hotel’s toothbrush too. But this time I was doubt because the plastic that covers the toothbrush are not sealed. I don’t really need the brush since I have my own. However, out of curiosity I ‘sniffed’ the brush and guess what?! Its smell toothpaste!!


The next day, I asked for one more set just to reconfirm if all the brush smells same or just this particular one. This time I got the one with nicely sealed and looks new. Same thing, I ‘sniff’ it again and there is no toothpaste smell!


I have strong feeling that this hotel is trying to cut their cost by recycling whatever that they can. I’m not sure if it’s an unofficial “standard” practise by all the hotels. I try to do some simple maths just how much they can save by doing this. Assume one toothbrush is RM 1.00 with box (since its very low quality). This hotel has approximately 600 rooms which come about 600 brushes a day. If they can recycle ½ of it, then they can save one day RM 300, one month RM 9,000 and one year RM 108,000.


Looking at the current market situation, cost cutting is the wise choice. However, unethical cost cutting like this is intolerable. People are going beyond the limit just to get richer. What I learned from this? Never trust the any hotels eventhough they are 5 stars! Just bring your own toiletries…

No comments: